Preparations oriented on asthma treatment have a big role to play in taking under control health condition. Bronchial asthma is a chronic inflammatory respiratory tract disease, made worse by periodic constrictions, mucus formation and symptoms such as:
- chest tightness;
- shortness of breath;
Disease’s control is critically significant in order to get rid of asthma attacks and live an active life.
Asthma Treatment Therapy
Asthma treatment therapy is carried out by means of two main medication types:
- control of inflammation and arresting the symptoms (asthma control medications);
- relieving asthma symptoms when they suddenly appear (drugs for quick relief such as Ventolin Inhaler).
There are two main types of anti-asthmatic drugs that will allow you to control the disease in the long term and quickly alleviate the symptoms:
- Preparations for the asthma control. This type of asthma therapy is most significant for most people with asthma because it constantly assists to prevent attacks appearance. As a result of taking these preparations, such as Ventolin or Salbutamol inflammation of the respiratory tract decreases, they react less to irritants. Steroid drugs also called “corticosteroids,” are an important form of anti-inflammatory drugs for people suffering from asthma. All these types of medications including Ventolin Inhaler can be bought online in Canadian Neighbor Pharmacy. If you gain less information about Ventolin, you are welcome to read more about it here. They relieve inflammation, swelling, reduce the mucus in the respiratory tract. Some people combine the use of steroid inhalants with long-acting inhaled beta-agonists (LABA). LABA preparations allow keeping the airways free by the muscles’ relaxation. These drugs can only be used together with inhaled steroids in asthma treatment. Derivatives of leukotriene are also used to take control of asthma and prevent its symptoms onset. They are devoted to eliminating the causative agents of the inflammatory processes in the body that cause respiratory tract swelling and the separation of mucus aggravating asthma.
- Preparations for rapid relief of asthmatic symptoms. They are also called life-saving drugs, they are short-acting beta-agonists (SABA). These drugs including Salbutamol, Ventolin or Albuterol relieve asthma symptoms by means of spasms around the airways relaxation. Their action quickly opens the airways, so more air penetrates into the lungs. As a result, breathing is facilitated. If you use these drugs as lifesaver more than twice a week, then you are not too good at controlling asthma. It is also important to know that these medications are used before physical exercises, especially for those who have asthma symptoms when exercising.
These anti-asthmatic drugs can be administered in various ways. Successful asthma treatment should allow you to keep an active lifestyle if you have such a desire. If you do not control asthmatic symptoms, you should contact your doctor to prescribe another medication that would suit you the most.
Inhalers, Nebulizers and Medications for Asthma Treatment
Asthma medications can be taken either with a metered-dose inhaler, a dry powder inhaler or a nebulizer for oral application, in tablets or in a liquid form. Such drugs can be prescribed in the form of injections as well.
Some drugs can be taken in a combination. There are inhalers containing a combination of two different drugs. These devices allow you to take two drugs at once, reducing the treatment time and the number of inhalers used to treat asthma symptoms.
Drugs and Methods that Should not be Used if your Asthma is Exacerbated
- sedatives (hypnotics and soothing);
- herbs and phytopreparations;
- mustard plasters, cans;
- calcium preparations, magnesium sulfate;
- prolonged bronchodilators (methylxanthines and beta-2-agonists);
- antibiotics (prescribed only if a bacterial infection is present).
What Should I Use for Asthma Exacerbation?
The basis of treatment lies in:
- an inhalation beta-2-agonist of rapid action via a spacer or a nebulizer up to 3 times during the first hour; moreover, to verify the degree of treatment response, not only subjective indicators of well-being but also data of peakflowmetry are used;
- systemic hormones in severe exacerbations (according to the latest data, a large dose of inhaled hormones can be effective);
- oxygen therapy;
- it is possible to inject high-speed methylxanthines intravenously with an insufficient other methods effectiveness;
- further measures depend on the response to therapy;
- knowledge of the necessary measures for exacerbation should not be considered an excuse for refusing medical assistance;
- Severe exacerbations of bronchial asthma are life-threatening conditions and should be treated in a hospital.